Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Spring on Rock Hill



The garlic I threw in pots about a month ago is doing well. This survives the hard frosts we are still getting a few times a week.
This is the first leaf of the very first Apple tree I've ever planted. It's a Braeburn.
This is our new baby Plum tree. Satsuma Plum. Notice the rocks in the background. Every hole we dig yields that many rock. I'm sure our neighbors are so jealous, but that's okay, we would share if they want to come and dig their own.
This is our nieghbor's Plum tree (purple) in the foreground. I made great jam last summer from these plums. In the background you can see a "flowering plum". It's an ornamental. They also have apple trees in the background. And these neighbors will share their rocks as well.
Our 4 new fruit trees have little fences around them. We have deer, very tame deer, who like to nibble on most everything. Last summer they were especially fond of my pepper plants and the roses. When I want to shoo them away, I have banged on a pot in the past. They seem to want to take a mouthful for the road.


1 comment:

  1. Wow am I happy to see you bloggin'!!!
    The apple orchards around here hand different things from the trees to keep deer away. Shinney like tinsil(?)works. Mr favaorite orchard man Mr. Kaste who retired a bout 7 years ago(we still miss him, picking apples isn't the same!) He hung pop cans with guts in the trees, he said the trick was to keep them guessing.

    ReplyDelete