Friday, November 13, 2009

God is Bigger than our Problems

I was remembering yesterday about working my 2nd step for the second time. Step 2 is "Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity". In this step we look at the insanity and develop an image of our Higher Power.

I worked with a man who wore the little Jewish cap to work every day. Occasionally we took breaks together, and would get a bit philosophical in conversation. His grandfather is a Rabbi, a Jewish priest. So this is a story from the old Rabbi.

Grandfather and grandson were looking at the stars. Grandfather asked the grandson to look towards the brightest star. That star is called Truth, and Truth is God. Then he asked the boy to point to the star, and Grandfather explained how the hand pointing to the star represents Religion. Imagine all the different arms pointing to the one same star.

I just loved this story, because it gave me so much perspective on Religion. Growing up, I was taught that only a select few were going to heaven. The Catholics weren't. Neither were unbaptized babies. So, in not being able to look outside the box for myself, I somewhat rejected religion and a belief in God. Not totally, but I couldn't come to terms with believing in a Hellish and Fearsome God.

My step 2 gave me permission to create God in an image that works well for me. And I went back to the the Lutheran Church (ELCA this time instead of Missouri Synod) and it worked.

Then came the time of Lynn and Elvin's passings....and once again I was questioning....Lynn was Pagan, and Elvin really wanted to go be with his wife. A lot of soul searching.....a lot step 2 stuff came up again. Well, God is just bigger than our problems. That's my final conclusion. Paganism is another hand pointing at the same God Star of Truth.

It's a lesson in limits and containment. God is not limited to my thinking or teachings. (S)he is not limited to the bible. The bible says that God is Omnipotent, and Omniscient and Omnipresent. The bible taught me that God is bigger than the bible, I just didn't get it way back then.

Every day I thank God for leading me to my wonderful program of Faith through the 12 Steps. A life without Faith only looks like a life on the outside. It's a sad life to live.




1 comment:

  1. Life without God is sad, because we were created with a yearning to be in communion with Him. Not our stuff, not other humans, but God himself. Without Him at our center we are left wandering, searching, never quite finding.

    ReplyDelete