Monday, November 23, 2009

Dinner at the Buffet City

Our favorite Chinese buffet changed hands and names. It used to be called China Sun. It used to have huge fish tanks with all kinds of fresh water fish. It still has a little goldfish pond, but the huge fish tank turned into a glass mural. Pretty....but not as exciting for Desirae.

I was a bit disappointed and didn't take pictures. I should have, we all looked great. Desi in her new sweater outfit from Nancy, I sported makeup AND jewlery, and Dave looked nice in a new (from GoodWill) button down sport shirt.

With each of my kids, I stopped wearing jewelery, cause they would grab it. Nick broke a beautiful necklace I had made in the Hayward (CA) DMV. Atleast there were plenty of people in line to help me retrieve all those beads! And I learned a lesson. So, finding just the right jewelery was tricky because it all felt like "too much". I've learned to use a very light hand with the makeup. If I used as much as when I was a teen, I'd look like Tammy Faye! Plus it makes me look old, I think. I rarely wear it any more.

An interesting thing about the buffet is the way we viewed the food. Food is fuel for our bodies, and dinner hour is social hour. I make healthy meals. Last night we heard Desirae utter the words "Uh-oh, I'm full", and then she ate more! We finally took her bowl of ice cream away because she was taking such tiny bites....for taste, because her tummy was full. No one worried about calories or if it was healthy (except Dave who has to mind his gluten and dairy). It was foodaholism on the loose! And from looking at our neighboring diners, we were not the only ones.

I'm sure Desi is looking forward to next year....or the year she can say "let's go to the place where I get to feed pennies to the fish". She really got into the spirit of eating....but then, she is her parents child! Today, it's back to the same old routine of fruits and veggies. And that's a very good thing.

3 comments:

  1. It is nice to treat ourselves from time to time. However, you so nicely pointed out, it is important to keep healthy habits every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to say, that stinks about the fish tank. I love those huge aquariums. Remember all of the tanks my parents had when I was really young?
    One day when we are all done with this moving every couple of years lifestyle, Mr. Nomad and I would like to get a big ole tank full of fish. Alas, until then our little 5 gallon tank with two fourteen cent goldfish will just have to do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did I miss this post!?! I'm like you too much make up is just too much! It does sound like you had a nice time and that is a bit of extravagance that everyone needs every now and then!

    ReplyDelete