Thursday, April 8, 2010

No More Tonsils (nor adenoids)

Desirae woke up this morning full of spit and vinegar. No more pain medicine for her. It was a struggle to get the antibiotic into her. She is protesting eating and drinking as well. She will....when she gets hungry. She's drinking when SHE is thirsty, all good signs. The picture above is my girl, with all her tonsillectomy props. The puppet "Troll" is one of her favorite toys, and he made the trip to the hospital with us.

This beautiful little quilt was made by the Volunteers for Sacred Heart. It's stamped with an angel and logo "Comfort Angels". How SWEET, and what a neat treasure. We've since referred to it as Desi's Tonsil Blanket.


This book was mine when I had my tonsils out. Copyright was 1966, but dated Nov. 24, 1967 by my Mom. Desirae is LOVING this book, even though Mary Anne stayed over night in the hospital. We were let go 3 hrs after surgery. Times have changed! I have no idea why this book has been with me all these years, as I have never paid any real attention to it.. I can only think the reason was divine. It's resting on the bed with my little girl as I type.

3 comments:

  1. How sweet that you have a special book. I think I would have enjoyed that. I vividly remember having my tonsils out when I was 4 or 5. I'm so glad Desi didn't have to stay in the hospital. At first that was the scariest part for me. . .but you remember me. It didn't take long for me to get over it. I went visiting and also helped the nuns. My favorite though was the Blueberry Buckle. Do you remember that sugary goodness of baby food? Maybe if you had some of that Desi would be interested in eating. ;)
    Glad to hear the surgery went well, and your sweet (and sometimes fiesty) girl is on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tami--I remember Grandma H made bean soup when I got home from the hospital. I hated beans, so I picked out the potatoes and ate them. I made bean soup last weekend for the memory. Of course Desi did not touch it. She hasn't eaten anything now for days. Not even ice cream. Good thing she's chubby or I would be coming unglued.

    I can totally see you running around and helping the nuns. You were so precocious and independent when you were small. I always wished you were my little sister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok first of all I would have given her to you for a bit more than once;) But now I cherish her beyond belief! She did have those nuns wrapped around her finger, I recall going to see her and there she was behind the admit desk telling the nuns when someone came in or needed help. How sweet is the book!!!! What a sweet thing. I noticed the quilt right away and wondered who made it, it looks so homey and comforting. Love the post!!

    ReplyDelete