Saturday, March 27, 2010

We missed it again!

March 12th. That ever elusive date. Dave and I had a church wedding that day 5 years ago. It never fails, we both forget. *Sigh, at least we BOTH forget, and there is no blame.

I felt married the day I moved in with him. I never had anyone do so much FOR me, to help me, to lift me up, put me back together. I was so ready to start a new life and ready to trust what God was so freely giving to me in another individual.

So, when we were "shacking up" in my Grandma's house, it never occurred to me that anyone would be a bit put off. I felt married. After going through a divorce, one knows that the church wedding and the signed paper means very little compared to the COMMITMENT that 2 people make to each other in their heart. We planned on getting hitched some day. Dave always wanted to. I didn't care. So, in declaring bankruptcy, after taking our California bills with us to MN, we decided it was monetarily beneficial to marry. And Grandma really liked the idea.

In my heart, I married Dave at the end of July, when I moved in with him, and he signed the paper allowing me to buy my very own new car. It's an old story, I repeat about twice a year.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary. . .a few weeks late. ;) It is so interesting how life experiences change your views or takes on different things. For me with divorced parents, getting married was such a big deal. Actually making that big COMMITMENT was such a huge step for me. Now after nearly 15 years of marriage, it is still the biggest and best thing I've ever done in my life.
    I'm so happy you found Dave, and your heart is healing from past hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey celebrating true love more than once a year is a good thing!!! Ditto on Tami's comment to know committed love is such a precious thing.

    ReplyDelete