Friday, March 26, 2010

Me and Politics

I was pushing Health Care Reform in a big way on my FB page. I probably made more than a few angry at me, and perhaps people are now even hiding my posts. I'm very disappointed in what came out of this. We got a bit of Health INSURANCE Reform. I don't think it's enough, or that it will work very well. But, it's a start. I'm letting it go to regroup and come back for another day, feeling brighter that Reid has announced there will be a vote for a Public Option in a few months. I'm not holding my breath, it might be just a few words to pacify the Left.

I considered my self a Moderate until Health Care Reform. My first husband (and his family) were liberals (bordering on radical) and I had politics shoved down my throat repeatedly. I had the Bible used against me, and I learned to shut up if I didn't agree. When I left that marriage, I didn't even want to hear about politics. When it was time to vote, I read up a bit and made up my own mind in private. I supported GW Bush during 9-11. And life happened.

Desirae was born, and I had awesome insurance. I had her in the hospital where I worked, and we never received a bill. We had a few copays for all the technical procedures, but nothing we couldn't handle. Then we moved to Minn. And we found out that getting benefits for the whole family was becoming more difficult.

There were times when Desi and I were not insured at all. And just as I was getting up signed up for Minnesota Care, Dave's family went into crisis mode, and we had to move to Oregon. Dave's mom died unexpectedly, and his Dad actually got a bill from the hospital. Poor man, had bone cancer, was not going to be able to meet his mortgage, and he gets a bill from the hospital for pronouncing his wife dead. And she probably died because he refused to call an ambulance because it would cost $1000 (that's what he said). They were on Medicare with secondary Blue Cross coverage.

I took a job with Sacred Heart/Peace Health as a housekeeper, thinking that the benefits would outweigh the fact that I did not like cleaning all that much. Guess again. I got the standard $1000 deductible/80% coverage. Okay, better than nothing. I had to pay $200 a month to cover the family. Desirae was 2 1/2. Insurance sure had changed. I went from no premium/no deductible/90% coverage to this in less than 2 yrs. Then Dave secured a good job, lots of overtime, average insurance, and we felt that I could finally quit my job. We bought the house we had been working towards, and started a new life. 5 months later his company laid off 70%. None of us had insurance, and Cobra wanted $1200/month. Dave was on costly meds to control ulcerative colitis.

Life was not good for a few months. President Obama promised change, that things would get fixed, so we voted for him. And I started taking an interest in politics. On my own, making up my own mind. For the first time in many years.

We also over see the care of Dave's brother, Barry, who sustained a head injury in his early 20s. He is 48 today. So, we are responsible for Barry, and for Desirae (age 6 w/ Downs Syndrome). I started thinking about what our lives would look like without SSI and Medicaid. Because now Desirae is also covered though these programs. It's pretty difficult for me to work, having Desirae. She gets sick often, and takes longer to recover than the average child. Yet, managed those 2 years I worked at Sacred Heart. Without SSI and Medicaid, Barry would be living with us as well. He takes a cupful of meds every day. And he needs constant supervision as well. He does things like forget that he's cooking or lighting a cigarette off the toaster. He would be living with us if it were not for social programs. Not only would I not be able to work, but we would have to pay for his meds and his medical care. This is what people experienced before SSI. There are political parties formed (Regessives and Libertarians) that want to do away with SSI and Medicare. Holy Crap! Do they have any idea of the poverty that would happen?

Many other countries in the world have Universal Health Care. We send people over to study and look at their systems. I've heard no other country studies our system for implementation. That says a lot.


Recently the State of Oregon cut Medicaid benefits to people like Barry, and we were asked to pay for his dental work and dentures. I called our state officials to plead his case, and thankfully Medicaid will cover it....this time. Shortly there after, Dave was handed a $7,000 estimate for his needed dental work. It just never ends!

We arrive at our ideas because of the life we lead. I've not had a sheltered life. I've not had the help and support of family on a consistent basis. I've worked hard, am independent, and have very little to show for it. Except that I'm happy, and satisfied. I KNOW from my childhood that material wealth is a trade off with inner peace and happiness. The one area that keeps irritating me is health care. So... this should explain why I have the views that I do. And I will continue to do my part in the fight for Single Payer. However small it may be :)

3 comments:

  1. I think for me the scary thing is this. We have had government health care for the past 15 years in the military. For the most part it is okay. My children are quite healthy, so that is a huge help. My friends with special needs kids, and cancer have not faired as well. When things are bad, it is very reassuring to know that we can go to the private sector. With the government in charge of health care, where do we go? All the other countries send their people to US.
    At one point in DC our only care was the ER, 45 minutes away. Trying to get f/u care from those ER visits was painful. I basically had to point out that they would be making me physically neglect my child, which would be rights for Child Protective Services to get involved if they didn't get me an appointment.
    Don't get me wrong, I hear what you are saying. Our system is broken. It just makes me very nervous to let the huge government bureaucracy take over. Look at the VA. I worked there when I was in graduate school. Not exactly world class service.
    After living in DC and seeing the very wasteful way the government works, I just don't trust them to take care of a system that is so important.
    What I value is that we can all have our own opinions, share them, and walk away disagreeing. All the while respecting one another and honoring one another. Now that is why I love being an American, and have given the past 15 years of my life supporting our country.

    PS I don't hide you, and I am still excited to see you this summer. If you'll still have me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, I trust the gov't more than I trust a for for-profit corporation.

    Many people with special needs kids opt out to use medicaid programs, because they cover so much more than private insurance. With Blue Cross, I had to prove that Downs Syndrome was not a pre-existing condition. The Oregon Health Plan will pay for camps and such for Desi, but those who have private insurance aren't covered. It's really mind boggling to sort this all out and do what's best for your family! And for the very poor, even a wait or not the best care is better than NO care.

    Disagreeing with someone isn't cause for dismissing a relationship. Our connections are way more important than our opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is good to get different perspectives from real people not what every interest group is touting.

    ReplyDelete