Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Tuesday's Treasure


I can't believe I thought of this....and it's Tuesday. This is the cookbook my Grandma Helmrichs gave to me on my 10th birthday. It's been used ever since. This is the BEST cookbook for those basic recipes like banana bread or pudding, éclairs, cookies...and it has meat charts and spice charts, equivalent measures. Everything a new cook could want.

My mom would get a roast out and tell me to put it into the oven at 4:00. I had no idea what to do, so I would call my Grandma. After a few times she would ask if I had looked at my cook book. So, out of necessity, it was used. Often and frequently.

It was one of the best gifts I've ever received. It gets used less today, with my gluten/dairy free cooking, but I'm learning to convert, and I still use some of those basic recipes.

Included is my grandma's apple cake recipe, and that will be shared later.

3 comments:

  1. What a special treat. Your Grandma H. was always so sweet to us whenever we would visit. I loved New Year's Day at her house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She considers the Brown's as family. So, visit her when you go home, she would LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can just here her voice giving you help over the phone, what a treasure...and the cook book also. I love love her house. There was always such a feeling of comfort when you stepped in the door. I do look forward to the recipe.

    ReplyDelete