Monday, May 18, 2009

Just Me

I was looking at that last blog and thinking about how cute a red checkered table clothes might have been.  And then today Desirae noticed some plastic dishes in the shape of fish in the Kohls add.  It made me stop and think about how simple we live.  We have no picnic basket, a plain paper bag and cooler work pretty good.  We used the very cheapest paper plates, because they came out of Desi's craft box.  Mis-matched plastic-ware left over from last years birthday parties.    I've always done these things  at the last minute, never much planning....throw it together and make it work.  And it does.  Last time I forgot napkins, but we had the baby wipes from the car, and that worked out okay.    We make do and improvise where needed.  The main thing is to "just do it".    

A fond memory I have is of going to Perham with Grandma Brown.  At lunch time, we stopped and got a loaf of white bread and a package of hotdogs, and found a picnic table.  Those were the BEST tasting hotdogs!    We didn't even have plates or plastic-ware.  

I'm not sure  Desi would remember a red checkered table cloth or fancy dishes, but I'm pretty sure she is going to remember picnics in the park, and how good the food tastes outside on a picnic table.    

2 comments:

  1. When I started to read your post I thought of course you can do it simple, it must be in your blood! Grma Brown was make do and with a good attitude personified! Then I read about hot dogs! What a sweet story, and what a sweet legacy to pass on to your kids and people who you rub elbows with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you in the just do it category. Yes, you could have all of those things, but if you are anything like me it would be overwhelming. I'd end of being crabby with the kiddos about messing up the perfect stuff. No, you have the right attitude. Desi doesn't care about fancy, she cares about the love and fun she has with her family.

    ReplyDelete