Friday, May 29, 2009

Garden update

Warm weather here in Oregon. I spent my first hour this AM giving the garden and all the rest a drink. I did have to replant the hills. Seems most plants of the eating variety don't like to grow in bark mulch, though the weeds don't seem to mind. So, I scraped out holes and filled them with steer compost and re-planted. Now within a week, the cucumbers, some squash, and some pumpkin are up. The radishes are ready, and within a few days the lettuce and spinach will be ready to start using.

This is very welcomed as we drop $25-$40 on fruits and veggies every week. The way to lose weight is to keep one's belly full of the good stuff.

I'm so happy to finally have my own garden, and see it doing so well. My apple tree is getting some brown leaves, so will water it again tonight or tomorrow. Most of the flowers are from seed, and they are sprouting as well. I did buy some coleus, one of my favorites. I still have zinnia seed, and am going to sow more radishes. I can see that planting might go on for a long time since we have a longer growing season here. When I gardened in California, I never took advantage of the longer growing season. New ideas are popping into my head all the time!

3 comments:

  1. We have our garden mostly planted and it's doing nicely. Started a remodel project in the front yard that is taking longer than expected. We do need to get together soon. Gil has a furlough week in mid June and then another forced vacation week after the 4th of July. I think we will be making some day trips during those times. He has been wanting to get down to see Fred and give him digital copies of the 'hoffman family pictures'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good, we can get together anytime, as long as it includes Desi and Roy. Roy is starting to calm down a bit, though not around "other people" ;) I'd love to show off our garden and we could go to the river or something as well. We have some awesome scenery just a few miles away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I'll be there in the fall. ;)

    ReplyDelete