Sunday, September 27, 2009

I'm done with the Blackberries!

These berries have been a thorn in my side for all of Aug and Sept. I finally gave up. The freezer is full enough. I gave up when I started getting hives from picking. I will have to wear surgical gloves in the future.

The above picture shows the guard canes the plant throws out. Huge thorny branches we have to cut back to get to the berries.

Pictures of the brambles under the berries. Tigerlily likes to run out and hide in these. Roy avoids them at all costs. Reminds me of the Brer Rabbit stories I read to Nick as a child.


The bushes were loaded this year. It was a beautiful sight. I have enough put away to make jam, to make cakes and cobblers, and I could have done way more, but it rained, and the rain dilutes the flavor and makes them mushy. They turned sour on the branch. Summer is over.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sad we didn't get more in the freezer before they turned sour. Next year, watch out. I'm going to put on the waders and go to town!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can enjoy the fruits of your labor all winter long. Black berries are some really vicious fruit to gather, any thing canned or in the freezer is a testament of your harvest heritage, you and Tami make Grma Brown and Ma Ingalls proud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish they'd invent a blackberrie picking machine :)

    ReplyDelete