Saturday, December 26, 2009

Oh Christmas Tree!

Our Christmas tree, this year, was the biggest I've ever experienced. Our trees of the past have been small table top trees because of cats, kid, and dog. The last few years we've went into Willamette Nat'l Forest and cut a small tree. Family fun! This year we went to a tree farm and Dave insisted on cutting our own, even though they had a man with a chain saw available. He did accept help carrying this beauty to the car, where it was tied on top of the station wagon.

Dave fit the tree into the stand and strung the lights. We didn't have enough blinking lights, so only the top half of the tree blinked with multi-colored lights. The bottom tree was adorned in red lights. We'll be purchasing all blinking lights on after Christmas clearance sales for next year.

Here's Dave dressing the tree with the topper we bought together our first Christmas. He had an idea of what he wanted for a top, and we searched and searched for it that Christmas, finally finding it in a specialty shop at Stoneridge Mall in San Ramon, CA.

Here's the biggest reason for putting up a grand tree! Christmas Morning arrived!

I was so missing Nick while I decorated the rest of the tree. So, here's his corner of the tree. This was his hand when he was 6, and a picture of him the same year. A few of his "first" ornaments, and the "n" he made while I decorated the hand. There are more, too many to squeeze into one picture.
Do any of my Brown cousins recognize this?

How about this? These two ornaments were hand made by Grandpa Brown, oh so many years ago.
This Jingle Beanie was the beginning of Desirae's collection. Her Grandma Lynn decorated her tree with these for Desi's first Christmas.
And this is our newest ornament. Desirae made it in Kindergarten this year. Perfect!

3 comments:

  1. OH I love it!! And I have a cluster of 3 walnuts tied to gether with I'm sure was sugar sack string from Grmpa hanging on my tree every year!! Is there a story behind them that I don't recall? I did not get/recall the pine cone. Your tree is so so pretty, and I'm with Dave in the spirit of cutting it ones self. Now the being tied to the top of the station wagon reminds me of Christmas Vacation movie. And how nostalgic with Desi in front of the tree in her night gown. I'm sure Nick misses you also, and how sweet to give him a part of your tree. Your tree top is very pretty, but even more I love the story that goes with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pine cone is sprayed gold and has a wire attached for hanging. I don't recall any "story", just that these were gifts given when we were children. Grandma kept it up, with various other hand made ornaments, made or bought. These 2 are my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Your tree is beautiful. I think trimming the tree is one of my favorite Christmas activities. Just like you pointed out, it takes you down a very sweet memory lane.
    I love the ornaments from Grandpa Brown. Those are such precious keepsakes.
    I'm sorry you were not able to be with your boy this Christmas. I think that is the thing about my kiddos growing up I dread most, not having them near me. You know it is how it is supposed to be, them having their own life, but the time together is just so incredibly special. I guess it is my reminder to not get wrapped up in the mess all over the house, and appreciate that they are here now.
    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete