Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Mr. Hoffman has completed all the building, the fence, gate and raised boxes. Today the truck comes to deliver our dirt.


Desirae playing in a box. She has the final rock we decided to remove from the ground in that box. And she's eating a Balance bar. To her, those are candy bars!


Here's the truck delivering our steer manure compost.


And there's our stinky pile of dirt. I noticed at first, but the smell went away quickly....I think I may have been used to it in a past life.

My awesome husband started hauling the dirt to the garden with the wheel barrow. The truck driver insisted he had to dump it next to the road instead of the garden, so it gave us(meaning Dave) a bit more of a workout. Each box took 6 wheel barrows loads. Today I planted lettuce and beets. Tomorrow will be spinich and radishes, some cilantro. This is so fun! Desirae was making sand castles in the steer manure compost today. I wasn't sure what to think of that, but we washed up good when we came in. I'm sure children have done it before and survived. I seem to remember surviving quite abit of manure in my past lifetime, being the daughter of a dairy farmer. I felt a bit "city-fied" to actually be paying money for the stuff!

3 comments:

  1. Good candy bar stratagy! She is an adorable little hunny! My kids are worms and lived. Did you ever stand in cow pies to warm up your feet on cold mornings? W have also bought poop, drives me crazy! We love fresh garden greens, we are going to plant ours in flower boxes close to the house this year, a little experment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't remember standing in cow pies on purpose, but I do recall the feeling. So, I don't know.

    In my endeavor to not have my kids squeamish or afraid of anything, they both collect bugs. Desirae asks for worms when we are digging. Nick kept everything in jars. He collected Potato bugs (roly-polys) by the handfuls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, not only did we step in the manure. We waded in up to our knees and then put that white barn chalky stuff over it. We thought we were pretty smart in our knee high go-go boots!

    ReplyDelete