Monday, February 1, 2010

House Rock Falls

On the spur of the moment, we decided to check out a new waterfall. This is connected to a campground I am dying to visit this summer. It has very nice camp sites right on a river. This is one of the views as were are hiking to the fall.

Another view. Every one is having a good time. Desirae is hiking great, holding on to our hands in the skinny steep parts. Roy-dog is in Dog Heaven.

A shot of the waterfall before we climbed down to it.

Desirae's face as we were standing as close as we could get. It wasn't a magnificent water fall, but a nice way to spend a sunny (!) Sunday afternoon.

The best picture I took of it.

Another little stream coming in from a different angle.

The hill above us. And as I was snapping this shot, Dave lost his footing and fell in. I looked down and he was on his back, head first, boot caught in a log. Our first scary accident out hiking. Luckily enough, he was able to free himself, and climb back up to us, only getting half wet in the icy water. With some bumps and bruises for his trophy. He's been accident prone this week. I'm not liking it much.

A good picture of Roy as we're hiking back.

Even if Dave is half wet, Roy needs the full immersion method. He's a water dog and must swim every chance he gets.
And here's the water-girl. Doing her best to dip the piggies. I was amazed her feet were dry when we got back to the car. In fact we all had dry feet! Hiking boots are great.

Then it was time for the work. No one wanted to go back to the car, except for Dave, who was wet. We coaxed Desi all the way there, by singing and marching and walking backwards. Fortunately, I keep a duffel bag of old clothes for all of us in the wagon. Dave put on all dry clothes, and we put some dry pants on Desi. Roy got toweled off, and we were on our way. 1/2 way home, Dave thought he lost his cell phone either in the car, or in the river when he fell. I tried calling it...no reception. Soon my phone rang. Someone found his phone! Apparently he set it on top of the car and it fell on the highway, and a nice young couple picked it up and found us. We pulled over when we got the call, and 2 minutes later, they delivered the phone. How cool was that!

What an adventure this time. I wish I had gotten a picture of Dave getting wet, but I was freaking out.

4 comments:

  1. Now that's adventure! The thrills of living and being in the great outdoors. I'm glad it all turned out well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful :) Glad your hub's was ok. It sure was a beautiful sunny day yesterday. Today, not so much LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. YIKES! I'm with you, I would have been too concerned about Dave to worry about photos. Now that I know everyone is fine. . .what a beautiful hike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew, glad your hubby is safe and phone returned...love good Samaritans! What a beautiful hike! So much fin that you make the hike an adventure, complete with song for Desi. You do thrive in the land the Lord has placed you in!

    ReplyDelete