Saturday, February 20, 2010

A Few of my Favorite Things

Nothing makes me feel gratitude for my things as when I decide to bake in my kitchen. I've been through all walks of life, like most of us have. Apartment stoves that don't work,baking pans that would warp and twist as the heat hit them, mis-matched dishes and utensils. I may never have granite counter tops, and custom made cabinets, but I got my stuff that works for me. And I like that. I love, love, love this batter bowl and measuring cups. The batter bowl came from Dave's mom, and some of the measuring cups. When we left California, I had to part with so much of my kitchen stuff. I missed my stainless measuring cups, but Lynn had this mismatched set that suits me perfectly. I'm not a big fan of tupperware, though I do use those measuring gadgets as well.

Today we are making Grandma Helmrich's apple cake. Look at the size of the Red Delicious I found this week. Can we say "bio-engineered"? One apple = 3 cups. I won't be buying many of these, but I just had to show Dave!

This is my mixer that my dear husband gave me for a birthday present. It took me almost a year to try it out. (I was working at the time), and I'm not impressed. Sorry, Kitchen Aid. I would like a mixer that mixes to the bottom of the bowl instead of leaving hard clumps of floury dough on the bottom. However, it beats trying to mix cookie dough by hand, or burning up my hand mixer .

My little chopping bowl I bought many years ago when I worked at the melon farm in Ottertail, MN. This is great for quick chopping some nuts or garlic. And my mom gave me the food processor when I broke mine putting up cabbage in Minn. Again, it took years for me to use this processor. When I finally decided to use it, I loved it. I like to hand chop with my french knife, but that sure is time consuming when making salsa. And my set of Chicago cutlery is shown here as well. Not the highest quality, but it takes an edge and holds it, quite nice.

I had to get a picture of this silly corner shelf. What do people think when putting a kitchen together? I was stumped about how to use this shelf until I unpacked our turn-table we purchased at Ikea years ago. That turn-table had no purpose, but we liked it. Today, it has a great purpose.
A sneak peek at my pots and pans. Thanks to Dave's mom, I have different sized muffin pans, cheese-cake pans, a big turkey roaster among many other pans. I'd rather have her back, but when I use her bakeware, it's kind of like she's nearby.
And this is our new-off-Craig's-list stove. I love the ceramic top. If I can't have a high quality gas stove with all the bells and whistles, then this will do nicely.




4 comments:

  1. I love you baking stuff too! Like you, my favorite things are the hand me downs from grandmas. So special to have a little history when you go into the kitchen.
    We now have a gas stove,and I've gotten used to cooking on it. However, as far as cleanup, I miss the glass top. So easy to keep looking nice.
    Here's a tip for the Chicago Cutlery. We have a set from my father-in-law's mom, so it has been loved many years. One time when he was visiting my father-in-law stained and sealed the handles. They looked like new again.
    Ahh that apple. One word. SCARY!
    :) Have a great time baking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I have the same mixer! I really like mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I expected perfection when I saw the price tag! I know this stuff is so ordinary, most people might not think to be grateful. I never gave it much thought until I left so much behind in CA. Then I felt like I would never have a working kitchen (with stuff that I love) again. Confession---- when we lived with Grandma, one day I took the magnet that said "Brenda's Kitchen" off the fridge and tossed it into the trash. I love her dearly, and I love having my own kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I don't think it is ordinary. I am always so grateful to get my cooking stuff back after we have moved or been on a long trip. It was a thrill for me to use my garlic press last fall. It is the little things in life that make us happy. Big things are nice, but the little every day things make the world such a better place.

    ReplyDelete