Wednesday, February 17, 2010

St. Mary's Peak

This is the view from the top. We drove most of the way, then a short hike...less than a mile to the very top. It seemed longer going up!

Dave and Roy. In the background are giant balsam firs, or something similar. It took us awhile to identify these trees.

And a waterfall. There is a man-made drain for this fall.

We have to credit FDR for our wonderful national parks here in Oregon. We have the pleasure of using stone steps, created under the New Deal in many areas. This labor intensive work stands the test of time, and we enjoy it very much!

3 comments:

  1. You really are surrounded by great beauty. Are the trees so much bigger in comparison to the woods at G & G Browns? Whoa living proof of 9th grade American History(by the way that was one of my favorite classes to support-done it 6-8 times), conservations corps, can you believe so much of that work was done with out the help of heavy equipment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is amazing...I'll post some pics of it. I never thought of blogging on "the New Deal". Better hit the (history) books, so I don't embarrass myself!

    The trees on top of this mountain are huge. Jody, if you want to see trees, come to the west! Yes, they are much bigger in places. This truely is God's Country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Jody come west. Brenda and I will show you some amazing sights!
    Brenda, now that our traveling escapades have quieted I need to get down to visit. I would love to check out some of those hikes.

    ReplyDelete