Saturday, July 25, 2009

July Garden Update

The cucumber hill~

The Pumpkins

Looks like a bumper crop of pumpkin this year. We already have many that look like this, and they are still growing and flowering.


Not everything is doing great. The spaghetti squash leaves a bit to be desired.

The Roma Tomatoes

This will be our first ripe Early Girl.


The beans are producing a meal every 2-3 days now.

And so are the sugar peas.

The onions

The lettuce. Mr. Hoffman doesn't seem to mind the bitterness. My second planting did not take off as expected. I think it may be too hot right now. It's a learning curve for me at this point. I planted more again
The bell peppers are doing well. The hot peppers are not doing so hot. Not sure why. I worry that I over water them, then I worry they are not getting enough. Sometimes these things just take off, with little regard to their care. So, I'm waiting on the hot peppers right now.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, it looks like so much fun. I tend to be a heavy waterer myself. More is better? I think the biggest trick is figuring out what does well in different climates. I'm impressed with your tomatoes. I never could get mine to grow well last time we lived in WA. You are going to have to give me some tips, as there is nothing better than a fresh from the garden tomato.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rock has an under water theory that I can't remember. Our beans are not impressive at all, only 5 plants came up and they are really struggling. Your garden is so neat and tidy, what an amazing amount of the Lords bounty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The under water theory is about the palnt growing roots, namely a tap root that goes deep into the ground. It's a very good theory for the right type of soil. Our plants have roots that are growing around rock, and our soil is bone dry clay (under the manure compost).

    ReplyDelete