Monday, July 20, 2009

Chicken Stir Fry in Garlic Sauce featuring Peas and Egg plant.

Dinner tonight was really good, so I thought I would share what I did.

I stir fried 2 cups of chicken with 3 cloves minced fresh garlic. (used minced garlic, it has a slight different flavor than crushed). I added a few dashes of soy sauce as it finished cooking and then removed it from the pan and set it aside.

I added 1 onion, chunked
4 stocks of celery chunked
2 cups of pea pods
1 egg plant chunked
to the pan (sprayed with Pam).

I first stir fry the onion and celery for a few minutes then added the peas for a few minutes and then dumped in the eggplant. (different cooking times for different veggies). I also added about 5 cloves of minced garlic. When I was satisfied with how done it was, I added the chicken and made my sauce.

1 c of water with 1 1/2 teaspoons of beef base. I then added 1 1/2 tablespoons of cornstarch and a dash of soy sauce. Poured it into the stir fry. It was a bit thick and kind of salty, so I added my secret ingredient---Apple Juice. I just poured it in....maybe 2/3 cup. Enough to thin out the sauce and cut the saltiness. Served over brown rice.

It was a hit...at least for me. Dave is not so crazy for eggplant. Desi does not eat anything green or resembling a veggie. Her loss, more for me! (joking) .

3 comments:

  1. YUM! That sounds so good. I cannot wait to get my cooking things unpacked and try this recipe. I know it sounds silly, but I miss my knives, chopper, garlic peel & press. . .only a few more weeks and hopefully we'll be able head out and get back to WA.
    Maybe the green thing is genetic. My boy will only eat uncooked carrots, only because he knows there are no sweets until something resembling a vegetable goes in. He has a sweet tooth, so it is a big motivator. Oh, did I mention he's 12! The next person who tells me we just have to model healthy eating and he'll come around. . .I'm punching them in the nose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read your recipe I thought Tami will be all over this one! I've only done egg plant once, I'll give this a try next time I go to the farmers market in the town square. I have a veggie avoider, now that he's 23 he's starting to try and even like them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chinese is the way to go to get kids to eat more veggies! Even Desi has been know to eat a few if we go out for Chinese. Yes.....I think I hear that restaurant calling our name.....maybe someday soon the girl and I will sneak out for lunch.

    ReplyDelete