Monday, June 29, 2009

Salsa

Tomato Mango Salsa
6 diced fresh tomatoes
1/2 large onion, diced
2 minced jalapenos(to taste, we like it hot)
1 diced mango
a lot of minced cilantro
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 c vinegar
salt to taste



When in a pinch, I take the jar of Pace and add fresh jalapenos and cilantro. Such a huge difference in the flavor. I also open a can of diced tomatoes and add onion, garlic, jalapeno, cilantro (lots!) vinegar and salt. Or I chop my own tomatoes (the yummiest) and add the rest of the ingredients.

We love Mexican in every way, shape and form. I have no recipes, I throw stuff together and it works. Mexican is very forgiving. And forget those "packets" of seasonings. I use chili powder, cumin, crushed red pepper, dried cilantro, garlic, and salt. I use tomatoes for moisture. I do use the cans of re fried beans. They are so easy compared to cooking up your own beans (which is not hard at all, and I've done it). Years ago, I lived in the "barrio"(the neighbor hood) and was taught Mexican cooking by some of my neighbors. They used soy sauce in their fajitas! I've never made tamales or tortillas. Tamales look very time consuming, and tortillas are too cheap to justify making them from scratch. Spanish rice....is rice and a jar of salsa. How easy is that??

So, later, for Tami, I'll come up with some recipes. I have a yummy enchilada one I'm thinking of.


5 comments:

  1. that made me hungry for Mexican food

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only person I ever remember liking hot peppers was your Dad. We never used them at my house. When I left home, the freedom to explore was wonderful. I fell in love with Tabasco!

    The last time we lived in Minn. I grew habanaros in grandma's garden. Ohhhhh, they were HOT! painfully hot. Mom made sure your dad got some, and I told her to tell him NOT to just take a bite. I hope he knew what they were and didn't!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Easy is best. Good way to spice up pace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There goes my brain again! I forgot all about this post I thought I'd missed it! Here's the funny thing, we NEVER ate Mexican at home when we were kids it was ALWAYS meat and potatoes. We would looked forward to when Dad travel, because then we had macaroni and cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for the recipe. I can't wait to try it. Yes, please more Mexican recipes. We fell in love with Tex Mex when we lived in Texas, but I wasn't fortunate enough to have anyone give me cooking lessons. I did have a friend from Belize that taught me how to make tortillas. Yes, they are a lot of work, but so yummy when they are fresh and warm.

    ReplyDelete